Friday, April 11, 2008

The Best Contradictor Ever - Fernando Alonso

It's fascinating to note how times (and along with it, words) change. As soon as I read in the press that Alonso has re-signed with his former team, Renault, I thought I should do a very interesting work; that of "compiling his contradictions". Below you'll find lots of instances where Alonso asserts something "white", when in fact, only months before he had deemed it "black"!!

The Statement (on Renault)

“I am very excited about working with this great team once more, and confident that together we can move back to the front of the field. Renault had a difficult year in 2007, but I know that the team has real strength in depth. I am confident they can produce a fast and competitive car and be back at the top in 2008."

The Contradiction

“About Renault I have to say that after a couple of years winning, there was going to be a moment when they would start declining and that was one of the reasons why I announced I was moving to McLaren."

Me: Alonso, apparently you've found out that the talent, which the Mild Seven Renault F1 Team lacked has come out of the blue to the ING Renault F1 Team ("strength in depth"!). Genius stuff!

The Statement (on McLaren)

"In term of professionalism and technology, the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team gives me support for the future. I believe it is the right team for me to switch to, to have a competitive car in the future, I don't see a better option than Vodafone McLaren Mercedes I am really looking forward to the season and am really happy and motivated to be a part of this new team."

The Contradiction

"From the first moment I wasn't comfortable with everything. It's an English team, with an English team-mate. You know that all of the help goes his way. I’ve understood that from the first moment and, well, I'm not moaning about it."

Me: Alonso, it would be great if you tell us if you think the "Vodafone McLaren Mercedes" team to be "professional" or the "English team" to be not.

The Statement (on Renault)

“I am delighted to be returning to Renault. This is the team where I grew up as a driver In Formula One. Now it is time for us to begin a new chapter together I am very excited about working with this great team once more and confident that together we can..."

The Contradiction

"I needed the challenge, and I needed motivation, both in my career,and in my life. I was growing tired. I'd seen it and done it all at Renault, twice. I knew how the car worked, I knew my job, I knew the people. It was just doing the same old thing over and over again. It was like eating the same plate of paella every night. It was making me feel old at 25. I wanted to feel young again. I think this period of my career finishes here and I need to win with more teams and find new motivation."

Me: So, I guess you're going to "enjoy" eating the "same plate of paella" from now on!

The Statement

"And if you ask me which is more important: winning three titles with Renault or winning three titles with two different teams, then the answer is easy. Even my grandmother will understand how much better it is to be world champion in two different cars with two different teams."

The Contradiction

“I am delighted to be returning to Renault...."

Me: I think that you've now found out that your grandmother misunderstood the concept!

Doing this compilation was one hilarious exercise for me! What with so many of them above! Leaving aside the funny part of it, Alonso has once again proved that he's not a champion material. He has jumped ship to Renault because of his inability to face a driver who is faster than him. Renault know very well that Kovalainen would be an infinite times better choice for the 2008 season than Piquet Jr. is. But the arrival of their "star driver" has apparently forced them to throw Kovalainen out - they know precisely well that Alonso cannot stand another attack by a driver who has the potential to beat him as Lewis did. Now, Renault has the "dream team"; the whole ING Renault F1 Team will be hell-bent on Alonso, protecting him from inside attacks (read as: protecting Alonso from Piquet Jr. beating him) in the process making Piquet Jr. a sacrifice.

I have an opinion that Nelson Piquet Jr. has made a blunder in agreeing to work alongside Alonso. If he has any desire to win World Championships, he has to move out to another team. He will not be given the chance at Renault as long as Alonso is there.

Add to feed readers:

Add to Google Reader or HomepageAdd to My Yahoo!Subscribe in NewsGator OnlineAdd to My AOL

You might want to see this too!

Love what you see here? Or loathe? Leave a word with Sriram

No comments: